Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cape Cod Vacation

Wednesday we left for Cape Cod. After not too much convincing, our Daddy Driver was kind enough to make a pit stop at Liberty Harbor Park. We spent almost an hour in the park with the view of Lady Liberty’s hiney, as the kiddos put it. We ran, we talked, we took pictures, we people watched, and we admired.

Thursday we officially arrived. We got in around 1am and went straight to bed. Gram wasn’t up yet when we got up so we hit Centerville Pie Co. at the crack of dawn. We headed over to Gram’s house when we got back only to find her doing chores as if she was young again. After a quick hug she carried on tending to the chickens. Admittedly, I was a bit taken aback when she reached out from the coop to hand me two warm eggs. Not ashamed to say, that is not my cup of tea scrambled eggs. 

Friday we saw the whales. Our group of ten, including my awesome friend from Virginia that arrived a few hours after we did, had pre-ordered tickets (toot toot) so waiting in line was no issue. We were the first ones on the boat in the morning and enjoyed relaxing at the bow (you’re impressed, I know) watching the fishing boats coming and going. I had a proud moment watching Madi point out a horseshoe crab floating in the water below us. Nice to know at some point taking her to Bowers Beach and Bombay Hook she was paying attention. We set out past Sandy Neck and Provincetown in search of the Hump Backs. Within minutes we had found our pot of gold. By the time the watch was over, 18 unique whales had been identified and over 350 photos taken between the Hubs and I on our spiffy new camera.

Saturday we hosted a little pool day for two wonderful friends. I was honored that these two very special ladies that now live in Boston were kind enough to pay us a visit during our vacation on the Cape. All through breakfast at CPC, I was excited waiting for them and felt like a little girl on Christmas morning once they arrived. I introduced them to my Gram and showed them around. Then we spent the day sitting poolside enjoying the weather, the kiddos, and the stories. Gram made my friends feel quite at home and I was proud to share, her if only for a little while. We even enjoyed some pies from CPC.
Sunday we shopped the flea market and then the 6A shops. Dick & Ellies was on the agenda for Sunday. I remember time after time shopping the Flea Market with my Mom and Aunts and searching and sifting through the junk for the bargain of the day. It hasn’t changed a bit. What was new though, was the Inflatable Park next door. What fun the kiddos had running and jumping and bouncing and sliding through over 25 bouncy houses. From dogs and fire trucks to sharks and octopuses to monsters and dinosaurs, they had them all.

Monday we celebrated Gram’s 80th Birthday, oh and America’s too. Gram turned 80. Gram turned EIGHTY! I couldn’t get this to sink in my head the entire day. Even as she blew out the candles I was in awe; in tears and in awe. This woman that had her family cry through their goodbyes to her only 650 some odd days earlier, she turned 80! Gram loved the American Flag I ordered her. She was amazed it had flown over the Capitol in Washington, DC and giggled over the mistake on the Flag’s Certificate (it said my 80th birthday instead of hers). I offered to mail it back and have it fixed and she insisted it made the Flag even more special. She plans to hang it on a flag pole attached to her new porch. Have I mentioned before we once gave up on her!?

Tuesday we went to Boston. The seven of us from little ole Delaware travelled OFF CAPE on July 5th to Boston! What were we thinking?! After the trip took double the time it should we arrived to find that the Duck tour the kiddos wanted had been sold out. Well, not to worry. We jumped on a Harbor Cruise and then an Old Towne Trolley for the last tour of the day. We even got the extended tour when the men in our group insisted that our tour guide knew we were going back to the beginning when in fact (as the girls had said over and over) he did not. What great Customer Service by our guide though,  jumping right into off the map tour guiding telling us whatever he could to make our ride enjoyable. We ended the day with a run through the park’s jumping fountains. I'll tell you more about that momentarily.

Wednesday we (finally) rode a Duck Boat. The seven of us hit a different restaurant for breakfast (boo hoo, no CPC) and then ventured on to the Duck Mobile in Hyannis. The tour guide turned out to be a former high school student of one of my cousins. Although his tour speech was a little too rehearsed we all did have some giggles as we rode through town on land and through the harbor by boat. The kiddos thought that was pretty cool. We spent most of the rest of the day poolside as we waited for the work day to end for the Family members we were visiting. Too bad we all can’t have the week off.

Thursday we were home. And just like that, vacation was over.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you all had a great time! :) Thanks for sharing!